2019-20 Campus Leader Internship
NARAL Pro-Choice North Carolina
NARAL Pro-Choice North Carolina Foundation (NARAL Pro-Choice NC Foundation), a statewide non-profit pro-choice organization and affiliate of NARAL Pro-Choice America, seeks part-time Campus Leaders from colleges and universities across North Carolina to lead organizing efforts on their respective campuses.
As a Campus Leader for NARAL Pro-Choice NC Foundation, students will work directly on activities that focus on expanding access to comprehensive reproductive health care for young people across the state. The Campus Leader program seeks to reduce abortion stigma and elevate storytelling as an effective tool in the reproductive rights movement.
Campus Leader Responsibilities:
- Serve in NARAL Pro-Choice NC’s statewide Campus Leader group with other student organizers from campuses across North Carolina.
- Host activities related to NARAL Pro-Choice North Carolina on your college campus and throughout the community (examples include: tabling, movie screenings, Days/Weeks of Action, social media campaigns, panel discussions, brown-bag lunches, abortion storytelling events, petitions, etc.).
- Create media such as op-eds, blog posts, vlogs, videos, pictures, or media interviews to be shared on NARAL Pro-Choice NC’s social media and website.
- Build support for NARAL Pro-Choice NC and our campaigns your campus by assembling a team of fellow student activists and partnering with other relevant student organizations to carry out events, etc.
- Stay in consistent communication with NARAL Pro-Choice NC’s Advocacy and Organizing Manager through virtual check-ins via phone, email, video chatting, or conference calls.
- Attend statewide Campus Leader meetings and any NARAL Pro-Choice NC trainings as necessary (NARAL Pro-Choice NC Foundation will cover all travel expenses).
- Other duties as needed.
- Knowledge of and commitment to reproductive rights and support and enthusiasm for NARAL Pro-Choice North Carolina’s and Advocates for Youth’s missions.
- Experience with community, campus, and/or political organizing is preferred.
- An understanding of your campus’ culture and political climate, particularly in regard to reproductive health and rights.
- Excellent writing, researching, and editing skills.
- Experience using a variety of social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr, WordPress, etc.); experience using these platforms for advocacy campaigns is preferred.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; ability to meet deadlines.
- Willingness to work some evenings and weekends; statewide travel occasionally necessary for Campus Leader gatherings and trainings.
Time Commitment and Compensation:
- Campus Leaders may receive a stipend for their work each semester if funds are available; expenses related to the program will be covered by NARAL Pro-Choice NC.
- Because of the nature of organizing, work hours will fluctuate, but Campus Leaders should expect to commit to approximately 4-5 hours of work per week.
- The Campus Leaders internship runs for the entirety of the 2019-2020 academic year (from late August-early December in fall 2019, and late January-early Mary in spring 2020). In your application materials, please indicate that you understand the length of the internship and can commit to organizing on your campus for both semesters in the 2019-2020 academic year.
In your cover letter, please also address the following questions:
- Describe your experience in anti-oppression work and work surrounding issues of equality. How do you see civic and cultural advocacy as a tool in achieving a more inclusive and intersectional sexual health and reproductive rights movement?
- What are some ideas you have to carry out a campaign to destigmatize abortion on your campus?
- What campus organizations/resources do you have connections to that could help you roll out this campaign on your campus?
Applicants who live outside of the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for the Campus Leader internship, please send a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to email@example.com with “Campus Leader” in the subject line. Applications for the 2019-2020 academic year are accepted on a rolling basis. Please feel free to contact staff at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the Campus Leader internship.
NARAL Pro-Choice North Carolina Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.