Join Our Team!
2021-2022 Campus Leader Internship
Pro-Choice North Carolina Foundation seeks Campus Leader interns from colleges and universities across North Carolina to lead organizing efforts on their respective campuses.
Life-long activists for abortion access
Many of our Campus Leaders continue to stay involved in the fight for reproductive rights, reproductive health and abortion access after graduating. We have former Campus Leaders who now:
- Regularly volunteer with NARAL Pro-Choice North Carolina.
- Assist with defending access to abortion clinics as clinic escorts.
- Serve on the Board of Directors for the Carolina Abortion Fund.
- Publicly speak at rallies and meetings about the need for equitable access to reproductive health care and abortion.
Campus Leader responsibilities include:
- Serve in Pro-Choice NC’s statewide Campus Leader group with other student interns from colleges and universities across North Carolina.
- Host activities related to Pro-Choice North Carolina on theircampus and throughout the community (E.g., tabling, movie screenings, Days/Weeks of Action, social media campaigns, panel discussions, brown-bag lunches, abortion storytelling events, petitions, etc.).
- Create media—such as op-eds, blog posts, vlogs, videos, pictures, or media interviews—for sharing on Pro-Choice NC’s social media and website.
- Build support for Pro-Choice NC and our campaigns on their campus by assembling a team of fellow student activists and partnering with other relevant student organizations to carry out events, etc.
- Stay in consistent communication with Pro-Choice NC’s Advocacy and Organizing Manager through virtual check-ins via phone, email, video chatting, or conference calls.
- Attend statewide Campus Leader meetings and any Pro-Choice NC trainings as necessary (Pro-Choice NC Foundation will cover all travel expenses).
- Knowledge of and commitment to reproductive rights, health, justice, and abortion access and support and enthusiasm for Pro-Choice North Carolina’s mission.
- An understanding of your campus’ culture and political climate, particularly in regard to reproductive health, rights, justice, and abortion access. Excellent writing, researching, and editing skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; ability to meet deadlines.
- Willingness to work some evenings and weekends; statewide travel occasionally necessary for Campus Leader gatherings and trainings.
- Experience with community, campus, and/or political organizing is preferred.
- Experience using a variety of social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr, WordPress, etc.) is preferred.
Time Commitment and Compensation:
- Campus Leaders may receive a stipend for their work each semester if funds are available; expenses related to the program will be covered by Pro-Choice NC.
- Because of the nature of organizing, work hours will fluctuate, but Campus Leaders should expect to commit to approximately 4-5 hours per week.
The Campus Leaders internship runs for the entirety of the academic year (from late August-early December and late January-early May). In your application materials, please indicate you understand the length of the internship and commit to organizing on your campus for both semesters during the academic year.
In your cover letter, please also address the following questions:
- Describe your experience in anti-oppression work and work surrounding issues of equality. How do you see civic and cultural advocacy as a tool in achieving a more inclusive and intersectional sexual health and reproductive rights movement?
- What are some ideas you have to carry out a campaign to destigmatize abortion on your campus?
- What campus organizations/resources do you have connections to that could help you roll out this campaign on your campus?
Applicants who live outside of the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for the Campus Leader internship, please send a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to email@example.com with “Campus Leader” in the subject line. Applications for the academic year are accepted on a rolling basis. Please feel free to contact staff at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the Campus Leader internship.
Pro-Choice North Carolina Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.